Monday 4 August 2014

rubybox 99c


What can you buy for 99c these days? Not even a tip for a car guard! So how about a few beauty products? You can believe, bargainista that I am, I jumped at the opportunity to score ANYTHING for 99c! I mean, come on…

Image from here.

First of all, if you don’t know, rubybox is a subscription service. You complete a beauty survey online and they compile your profile which will determine the types of beauty samples that will be sent to you. You then sign up for a monthly fee of R169 that includes to-your-door delivery and your box with deluxe beauty samples with at least one full-sized product. The more months you sign up for, the less your monthly subscription is. But what happens if you’ve fallen in love with a sample? Where do you find it again? In the online store. Clever, ne! You also earn rubyRands with all purchases which you can use towards future purchases.

I completed my profile on the website a long time ago but never committed to the box, although I  bought from the online store. I placed my 99c order and collected my surprise from the Fourways Mall pop-up stall. I could have had it delivered but that would have incurred delivery charges and going to a mall means, well… card assault! The two assistants at the stall were super helpful, both helping me at the same time: one with the box, the other showing me what was on offer to purchase.

They had a few rubybox branded items such as the rubybox signature perfumes and makeup brushes  which was nice to experience in person. The brushes looked and felt like it was top quality: sturdy handles, well constructed ferrules and super soft bristles. I didn’t purchase any because it would have been repeats of what I already have. I’m looking forward to seeing more brushes in the line should they expand, which I’m hoping they will. A stiffer flat-top kabuki style would be nice rubybox  ;-)

Back to the box. There were four options to choose from and I naturally gravitated to the frizzy hair rescue box. 

Excuse the fuzzy-wuzziness of the photo.
This box contained 3 full-sized products: John Frieda Frizz-Ease Serum and Woolworths Long Lasting lipstick. It also included a (full size) pack of 2 makeup removal sponges and a sample facial cleansing soap. The point of a subscription box like this is to introduce you to products that you wouldn’t normally try. I can honestly say that when I comes to skincare, I’m very loyal to one brand. You have no idea the internal conflict I have just using a different daily cleanser. I ALWAYS have a backup of my beloved Clinique Step 1 bar so that I never have to face the trauma of running out. BUT… Thanks to Rubybox, I may be changing my ways… So let me talk about the facial cleaning bar first.

Lanolin-Agg-Tval Egg White Facial Care 15g sample (R134.95 full size 50g): 


It contains egg white, yogurt, Eidelweiss and rosewater. 

Egg white is a good popular home remedy for tightening pores and absorbing oil. While there is controversy over the use of raw egg white on your skin, these benefits have been safely wrapped up in this soap. 

Lactic acid and alpha hydroxy acid in yogurt has exfoliating and skin tightening benefits. 

Edelweiss, or snow flower is widely used in skincare for it's antioxidant and anti-inflammatory and anti-aging properties.

Olive oil has been used since time immemorial as a moisturiser and rose water, besides making it smell lovely is an ancient beauty ingredient used to tighten and smooth. 

The Swedish soap lathers to a fine, soft, creamy foam. A little goes a long way. I’ve used this little guy every day for 3 weeks and could very well get another 2 weeks out of it. It’s gently cleansing, not drying or stripping. I have combination skin that needs a good balanced cleanser to properly cleanse the oilier zones without over stripping the drier zones and this soap gets that balance just right.

Woolworths Longlasting Lipstick R140

Gorgeous bright orangy-red that suits my complexion and will look as good in Summer as it does in Winter. Score! We know that long lasting lipsticks are very drying -> so you have to wear a lip balm underneath -> then the long lasting-ness doesn’t last as long -> so what’s the point. This one has a satiny finish, provides a bit of moisturisation so is not drying and therefore a good long wear option. I like it enough to try out more colour options.


John Frieda Frizz-Ease Hair Serum (R99.95)


This hair serum is a holy grail product for a lot of women who have issues with frizz. It’s never been on my radar but I’m glad I’ve had the chance to try it. The claim is that it “transforms dry, frizz-prone locks to smooth glossy lengths. It also repels humidity to help prevent weather-related frizz.” I don’t know about the smooth glossy lengths because I don’t heat style my hair so no smooth glossy lengths here. But I must say that when I use it on my curls, it does prevent that dreaded stuck-my-finger-in-the-wall-socket look. After washing and conditioning I apply 4-6 pumps from my scalp to the ends and comb it through before I wrap my hair in a towel. It keeps those strays at bay and doesn’t affect the definition of the curl or the natural volume that I’m so desperately trying to get back.

Rubybox Tools Bye Bye Makeup Sponge R39.95


To use: wet, apply cleanser and massage in circular motions. I haven’t used makeup remover sponges before because I use Bioderma on a cotton round. Call me dof, but I took this into the shower to try it out and used it as directed. I used the Lanolin Agg Tval soap on it and put it to work. Not a tool for everyday cleansing, that’s for sure. What I noticed is that although it lathered on the sponge, it did absolutely nothing on my skin. I’m not sure if you should use a liquid soap or if Bioderma will work well on this too. What I did notice is that it didn’t drip. Is that what these sponges do? If so, that aspect of it works really well.  It is soft and gentle on the skin and, unless you have super sensitive skin, it won’t irritate the skin at all. I’ll have to test this one thoroughly when I know what to do with it.

So, all of that for just 99c! Except for the makeup sponges that I haven’t found a use for in my life (yet!) I can definitely see the rest finding a home on my bathroom and makeup shelves. The Egg White soap may just have to come home to me in my next Rubybox though.

No comments:

Post a Comment