Monday 11 August 2014

Lorde for M.A.C. - Pure Heroine Amplified Creme Lipstick

I have decided that if I'm going to spend over R200 on a lipstick then it will be on limited editions: it just makes it feel more special.

My first such purchase was M.A.C.'S Pure Heroine. A limited edition lipstick in collaboration with Lorde, THE hottest female performing artist of 2013/2014. Her music is mesmerising and I can't help but to move to the intoxicating beat and moody melodies.

 
Every time I wear the lipstick, this song plays in my head. I promise to grow up some time before my kids do!

I didn't immediately rush the M.A.C. website to get it. It was sitting in my cart for a few days but every time I looked at it, it drew me deeper and deeper into it's spell, much like her music. But did I want to pay that much for a lipstick that I could possibly find a dupe for? When M.A.C. offered free shipping (!) which they do from time to time, my mind was made up! 2 days later...

First of all... that teeny-weeny lippie in that giant box. Overkill much?


About the lipstick.

The colour is the only feature. There is no special packaging and for only one lip colour, we can't expect too much. It comes in the standard sleek, black bullet tube.

I will describe it as a "Royal Plum": rich, deep, dark plum that has become synonymous with the Lady herself. It is formulated in the Amplified Creme formula which means it's highly pigmented, almost to the point of a stain. It is creamy and hydrating and wears evenly throughout the day so you won't look like a rabid vampire.

It can be worn sheer for a light but rich plummy tint or coated up to a vampy, deep, dark plum. I would suggest go minimal to no other makeup, other than a thick line of black liquid liner on the upper eyelid ONLY, or a thinner line on the upper lid with 2-3 coats of mascara and nothing else.

You could also incorporate Pure Heroine with other colours like bright pink, red or a rosy nude to tone it down or to create an interesting ombre look, that way you could wear it all year round.

Pure Heroine was available on M.A.C.'s website exclusively in South Africa and is unfortunately sold out (at the time of publication). I'm not sure if it will be restocked or if that was the only opportunity to get it. I will update this feature if I happen upon any such information.

To replicate the colour:

If you missed out or would prefer to buy an annual magazine subscription instead of buying one lipstick...

M.A.C. has Heroine (R195.00)in their permanent line which is a few shades lighter than Pure Heroine, but worn with a light wash of Chestnut lip pencil (R175.00) underneath to deepen it, it comes close to it's limited edition sister. (Ok, so that works out to WAAAYYY more, but just so you know... it's there...)

Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick in Blackcherry (R130) at Spree.

Rimmel Lasting Finish Lipstick by Kate (04) (R69.95) at rubybox.

Clinique High Impact Lip Colour in Sophisticate (R255) at Red Square.


No comments:

Post a Comment