Thursday 21 August 2014

Catrice Ultimate Shine Gel Colour - 080 Russian Violet

After years of sticking to the safe, neutral zone in lipsticks, I have ventured out into the colour spectrum in the last year or so. Last summer the colours that drew me in were bright, blue-based pinks and by the end of summer I had an unhealthy obsession with tangerine.

From left to right: Revlon Lip Butter in Pink Truffle, MAC Amplified Creme Lipstick in Girl About Town & Revlon Just Bitten Balm Stain in Rendezvous
This year, even during Winter, I found myself gravitating toward richer, more colourful winter and sometimes even brighter shades. One in particular that I find myself reaching for more and more is Catrice's Ultimate Shine Gel Lipstick in 080 Russian Violet.

R68.00 at Dischem or online at Spree

  To my eye it's the perfect Radiant Orchid! 

Picture poached from the Pantone website.

You could pretty much get every variation of Radiant Orchid in the above picture from this lipstick. Applied sheer you'll get the lightest, and with a couple of swipes you'll get the brighter, blue-based purple.

This picture really doesn't do justice to the actual colour, but it's the best I can do with a phone's camera. I think it's still gorgeous, though. Top swatch is just one swipe, bottom is 2-3 swipes.
The formula is very moisturising and has a respectable amount of gloss without being OTT which makes it perfect for a quick one layer tinted balm on a no-makeup day. You can vamp it up to a night time look by applying generous layers, blotting in between, without it looking too garish - that is providing you keep the rest of your makeup to a minimum. 

 
Look out for an upcoming post on how to remove that pesky sticker / glue residue from your lipstick tube.




I'm not one to be taken in too much by packaging, I'm more interested in what's inside. But I do like the sleek, chic silver tube. It's sturdy, makes a reassuring click when you close it so you know it's secure, and will hold up well in your bag. Upon closer inspection of the inside of the tube and top there's a lot of plastic-y-ness going on, but that's just me being super critical. Who's going to look at or even mind what the inside looks like, right?

It retails for around R70 and is exclusive to Dischem and available online at Spree.





No comments:

Post a Comment