Monday 12 December 2011

The cheaper obsession

And while I have a minute (aka while the kids are asleep), my other, cheaper obsession: nails. Or more specifically, nail polish. Also something that I found a fondness for in the last year. I figure the reason I'm getting so "girly" is because I'm surrounded by testosterone. Other than my husband and 2 sons, we have my brother living with us while he's studying, and we have two tenants renting our out buildings who are also not chicks. So by painting my nails, doing my hair, buying (not necessarily wearing) makeup and buying (not necessarily wearing) high heels I'm metaphorically peeing out my territory.

ANYWAY, I'm liking glitter polishes. I always thought they were too Barbie-peel-off for a woman, but the colours and varieties are fun for summer and can add an edginess to big-girl nail polish. The first glitter polish I used was a free gift with the November/December 2011 Marie Claire. I got the champaign glitter colour and I wear that more than one day a week, which says alot because I usually change my nail colour every day. It has fine, shimmery glitter and longer confetti-type pieces in it as well. And two coats gives you good coverage. It pops with a coloured base coat.



Another colour I'm more than likely going to put on my nails tonight is LA Girl's Rock Star in Overdose. I have it on my nails on it's own, but I'm thinking a baby blue base coat will make it stand out more. I'll post pics later, but below is from the LA Girl Cosmetics website. It really doesn't do the colour justice.


I'm not fussy about the nail polishes I buy. I usually buy one Essie colour per month and any cheaper brands during the month. My cheapie favourites are essence available at Clicks, LA Girl available at Dischem. I also have a few Avon colours, one or two Woolies nail polishes and a few of those really cheapy nail polishes you get in the bins at Dischem with their beauty extraveganzas.

Some of those colours last surprisingly long. Sometimes they last longer than an Essie colour. This is one of the reasons I change my nail polish every day because I can't stand chipped nail polish. Being a stay-at-home mom and not having a maid, I do all my own housework, and that's the ultimate test for staying power of any nail polish. I had a Revlon Charlie colour on my nails on Friday-Saturday and I did dishes, cleaned bathrooms and floors and the nail polish didn't budge. And that was without a base and top coat. Essie doesn't last that long. It could be in the application and could need a base and top coat, which I don't do. But then I get bored easily and have so many colours to choose from that I prefer to change my nail colour from day to day. It's also dedicated me-time. I can't do anything coz "my nails are wet", which annoys my husband to no end. You can imagine why...

I'll post some more pictures to this post once the monsters are down to sleep tonight. They just woke up from their afternoon nap so they'll be hounding me for stuff in about a minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment