Tuesday 3 March 2015

Eye cream on the lips?

Laziness and brokeness lead to amazing discoveries.This is a laziness discovery. I was doing my night time routine in my bathroom and was too lazy to take the 10 steps to my bedroom to get my lip balm, so I figured I'd use my eye cream that I have way too much of because you need so little of it per use. Well...


Used twice a day, this eye cream can very easily last two years. You can't use too much in an application because it balls up on itself and you have to wipe it away with a tissue.


I'm not sure if the ingredients are safe to use ON your lips, though. The quick Google search I did uncovered a secret society of women who regularly use eye cream around the perimeter of their lips to fight off wrinkles in that area. And you actually get products that are meant for lips and eyes. Okay, so maybe it's not a secret.

My experience of using Olay Total Effects 7 In One Eye Transforming Cream* on my lips was an unexpectedly pleasant one. My lips are dry and unless I spend a lot of time prepping and priming and constantly reapplying lip balm, I have a problem. What I found the eye cream does is it takes away the feeling of dryness immediately, is easily absorbed into the skin, and it doesn't leave a shine or gloss. It makes for an excellent lip primer because the lipstick or lacquer you use on top of it won't move as it would if you used a lip balm. I haven't tested if it makes lip products last any longer because I mostly use it at night before bed. I'll update here when I have.


I don't know if I'd recommend using eye cream ON your lips as an alternative to lip balm and that's only because I don't know how safe it is. Topical creams are not meant to be taken orally, and if you're using anything on your lips it can be considered to be taken orally. As a once-in-a-while, emergency, quick-fix... maybe. (Just the same as using hairspray to set your makeup. I kid you not!) I'll continue to use it when I'm too lazy to get my lip balm in another room. As with any product, do a patch test first. You wouldn't want your lips to fall off! 

* By the by, used for it's intended purpose it's an excellent eye cream for the price. I usually use the free samples that you get with every Clinique Bonus Time gift (available online until 9 March, btw). When I ran out of samples I was forced to buy an eye cream and couldn't justify spending R400 on one so off to my home away from home (aka Clicks) I trotted. If I'm not mistaken, I think I paid R120 on promotion at the time but it's around R160. Price check online (e.g. Zando, Kalahari). I didn't have high hopes for it but gave it a go, expecting to see results over a few weeks. I didn't expect to see immediate results. Like, on application! That's because of light reflecting particles in the cream that is almost undetectable. I am convinced that over time it has minimised the harshness of my under eye fine lines to the point where I will feel confident enough to not wear any concealer or line my bottom lash or water line because I feel it looks that good. In my opinion, well worth a try!

Please let me know if I should expect an ear to grow from my lips from using eye cream on them or any such dangers. Vanity can be an ugly thing.


No comments:

Post a Comment